Wednesday, July 29, 2009

Favorite Words, Favorite Book

"Make definite assertions. Avoid tame, colorless, hesitating, non-committal language."

This is one of my favorite passages and it belongs to William Strunk Jr.

Recently I was checking out my good friend L’s new, chic San Francisco apartment – with a view of the bridge no less – and I was perusing her bookshelf and exclaimed, “oh my god you have my favorite book!” And there it was:





An old, crotchety writer recommended this book to me. It’s short, direct and brutally honest. Just like some of my favorite people. If you strive to transition from being a serviceable writer to a truly effective one I recommend you check out The Elements of Style by Strunk and White.

I am such a geek! :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails