Thursday, September 24, 2009

Simple Wine Rules


My bestie W will be here very soon. I am sure we will engage in some vino. Sadly, I didn’t really know wine until I moved to California but I think I have made up for lost time. As you can see above, wine country can become so overrun with tourists that they have to park between the vines!

Some wine rules I have learned over the years from various sources:
  1. Champagne is perfect with anything salty – crunchy potato chips, briny oysters, smokey nuts and more.
  2. Sauvignon Blanc goes with tart and tangy foods.
  3. Dry rose matches nicely with cheesy dishes like gourmet grill cheese or flatbreads.
  4. Zinfandel is lovely with pates, mousses and terrines.
  5. Pinot Grigio pairs perfectly with light, delicate fish dishes.
  6. Muscat goes best with fruity desserts.
  7. Pinot Noir matches is great for dishes with earthy flavours, which includes things like mushrooms.
  8. Regional wines with regional dishes – Tuscan wines with Tuscan dishes, Spanish wines with tapas, etc...
  9. Malbec and Shiraz hold up nicely against barbecue.
  10. A late harvest, sweet Riesling goes great with spicy Asian dishes.
  11. Finally, Cabernet Sauvignon is fantastic with juicy red meats!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails