Thursday, August 13, 2009

The Rules


I have some fairly simple rules I live by. I cannot take credit for them all. Most of my “list” was officially created during a girlfriends’ weekend in Montreal. These jewels have served me well during my life:

1. Don't dip your pen in company ink
2. What you put out in life is what you get back
3. Don't sleep with two men in the same menstrual cycle
4. If you think something nice about someone you should tell them
5. If it feels really good do it
6. Eat something green everyday

Honestly, I am not big on rules. In general I find they get in the way. So, I like to keep my rules pretty simple and easy to remember. You’ll notice I don’t have too much moral guidance in my rules. I figure if you need to remind yourself the difference between right and wrong a short list of credos won’t help.

The thing that I find most interesting about rules is that we all have our own individual set whether we articulate them or not. I figure that if they are clear and easy to remember you have a better chance of following them. I am not sure if my rules are an accurate snapshot of my character but you would be surprised by how such simple guidelines for life can help.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails