Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Lucky in Life


It’s Saint Patrick’s day! A fun day to be sure because you get to wear my favorite color, drink green beer and act the silly way people act after drinking several green beers. While I was racking my brain and my closet for something green to wear I started to think about luck. After all, besides colored beer, we do associate the wearing of the green with leprechauns, pots of gold and luck.


I know I have been lucky. Even by my own demanding standards I have a fantastic life, great friends and a wonderful family. But it all took a lot of work and sacrifice. Lucky for me my work and sacrifice were not in vain – they paid off again and again. But is that luck or calculated risk taking?

There have been instances where I have considered myself unlucky and when that happens I try to “remember that not getting what you want is sometimes a wonderful stroke of luck.” That was the Dalai Lama who said that.

I mostly believe that I make my own luck. Everytime I stick a dollar in a disaster relief fund or do a small thoughtful act to help another person out I like to think I am making a deposit in my cosmic bank. I hope there’s lot of cushion in my account when I need to make a withdrawal!

In any case - dear possums - I hope you all have a lifetime of luck and a happy Saint Patrick's day!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails