Saturday, August 22, 2009

Julie & Julia - A Micro Review


I saw Julie & Julia last night and I liked it, thank you very much snarky facebook friends. I also enjoyed the book which I read during the hot, first week of August. It was a part of my summer reading list – more on that in a different post.

There were a lot of things I enjoyed about the movie, not the least of which is the fact that it combines two things I love, food and writing. I really enjoyed some of the touching moments where we see the love story between Julia Child and her husband, Paul. However, the moment that I loved best was not in the book and while I am sure the subjects of the book and movie had many special moments, this particular moment was surely created by Nora Ephron. It was still beautiful to me.

Tall, physically awkward, yet socially charming and witty Julia is at her sister’s wedding. Her sister, even taller, also charming and witty is dancing with her new husband. Julia and Paul take the floor and dance sweetly, chin to cheek due to the height difference. The camera person sweeps out to an aerial view of the dance floor and we see Julia reach across to grip her sister’s hand for a few seconds. Both continue dancing, faces pressed lovingly to their mates but connected to each other at the same time.

It was an insignificant moment in relation to the bigger story but it made me cry. Having a sister is special. Having one you can hold on to in the most emotional moments is priceless.

If you are one of my four readers, I think you will enjoy the movie. Check it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails